Another cool thing to come out of Bawlmore is the famous "Baltimore Bomb Pie" featured on the Food Networks" "The Best Thing I Ever Ate
." Also favored by Charm City Cakes Duff Goldman, the pie has become somewhat famous. You can buy it online at Dangerously Delicious Pies
, or try to make one yourself. In searching for a recipe, I came across to great sites that come very close to mimicking it. Check out My Man's Belly
and Chris and Ashton's Blog
. below is the recipe from My Man's Belly.
PS -- Don't forget to wear your favorite apron!
Use your own favorite Pie Crust recipe, or if you hate rolling out pastry (like me) ... Just go buy one of those Pet Ritz froze pie shells : ) What's important here is the filling : )
- 1 Large Egg
- 4 Large Egg Yolks
- 2/3 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 2/3 Cup Light Brown Sugar (firmly packed)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt (not Kosher salt)
- 2 Tablespoons Cider Vinegar
- 2/3 Cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- 6 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter (cut into small pieces)
- 1/2 Package of Berger's Cookies (They are very rich) and another great product from Baltimore (you can buy those on line as well)
- Bake your pie crust for 10 minutes (like any other pie)
For Pie Filling
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees Farenheit. (yes, 275 degrees Farenheit)
- Whisk, in a heatproof bowl, the first six ingredients until no yellow streaks remain.
- Whisk in heavy cream.
- Scatter in the pieces of butter.
- Bring 1 inch of water to a simmer in a medium size saucepan.
- Place heatproof bowl, containing the filling ingredients, over the simmering water (the water should not touch the bottom of the bowl). Gently whisk until filling is warm to the touch. (butter will probably not be completely melted)
- Add in chopped Berger Cookies and whisk gently to combine.
- Pour filling into pie crust.
- Bake for 6o minutes.
- When it is time to remove the pie, you will see that it still jiggles a bit in the center…that’s okay, it should do that.
- Let cool. Eat!