Advertise on PinupLifestyle

Cold Weather Pin Ups. What to wear and how to wear it.

So I'm all about folding up my jeans and having capris on EVERYDAY in the summer... unless I have on a cute sundress. So what the heck am I gonna do come winter? It happenes every year, I get all grumpy after fall when I feel like it's time to retire my pencil skirts and halter dresses and peep toes and .... I'm just not happy about it. I feel like I can't a good vintage style going with freakin' pants on. What do you ladies wear in the winter? Am I the only wimp that tucks her cute skirts in the back of the closet?

Views: 22680

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Keep the turn ups out, put on some heavy duty biker boots for footwear (oh so feminine) and team with jumpers and thick cardigans. It's a bit Land Army Girl but still equally vintage (and rockabilly, if that's your thing) but just a heck of a lot warmer! Don't forget your lumberjack jacket in plaid and the hand knitted scarf!
This is a great topic that comes up every year. It is sad when we have to put away our halter dresses and sandals, but it's exciting to pull out the gloves and fur! I live in CA, so the winters here aren't too bad, but we do still have to dress warm sometimes. But no matter where you live, winter is no reason not to look cute. So here's a few of the basics...

Coats:
This site has a ton of pix for insparation, http://www.vintagetrends.com/vintage/stylemenu.asp?CA=Women&SC=...

And here are a few of my favs:
The fur coat:

The leather jacket:

Classic:


Gloves:
I love wearing gloves, not mittens (I hate them), but pretty vintage(ish) gloves.

and here is one of our threads on gloves: http://www.pinuplifestyle.com/forum/topics/2346862:Topic:77448

Muffs:
I LOVE muffs, I own 2 vintage ones, and would love to have more. Unfortunately, CA winters are more wet then cold, so I don't get to wear them very often.


And here is a great thread on winter clothes from '08, http://www.pinuplifestyle.com/forum/topics/winter-pinups
Oh, yes! Fur for the win! I am an animal lover by far, but I go ga-ga over vintage fur! I'll have to post photos of my coats, but I have a b-e-a-utiful minx coat from the 60's. PERFECT condition, and it's dyed with a leopard print. It was originally $600 but the guy running the vintage shop I bought it from was a total doll and sold it to me for a steal of $300!
I also have one much like this one that Roxy posted, except mine is blue with a rabbit trim.


I still rock pencil skirts and dresses in the winter. Shucks, I'm in Missouri where it snows like crazy, and I still wear flats in the thick of it all. Just invest in some fur if you haven't already, and you'll be just fine. =0]
I guess pants would be a good thing to talk about for winter.

Nothing wrong with jeans (as long as they are not low ride muffin top ones). And lets be honest, even in winter, we wear them cuffed! But you can't go wrong with dark denim, straight leg/skinny, mid/natural/high waist ones.


And many girls swear by almost all types of high waist pants:
http://www.pinuplifestyle.com/forum/topics/high-waisted-pants

And we can't forget the psychobilly inspired ones:

ooooh i LOVE colder weather! i live in Va where its so hot for most of the year, so i love fall when its brisk and even the normies are more dressed up i love tights or stockings with boots (i layer more than 1 pair if necessary), long gloves, cashmere sweaters(!!!!! i have an entire collection), pencil skirts, wool dresses/skirts, lovely winter coats (love the fur trimmed one above), structured bags, scarves (wool or cashmere) and for everyday in the lab, jeans and a cashmere sweater. since its never terribly cold until december or january, you can layer a lovely cardigan (beaded or not) over a sundress to autumn-ize it.

bring on the cold! i want to wear my gorgeous fall clothes!

(did i mention cashmere sweater girl sweaters???)
I still rock my pencil skirts! But I wear wool socks (with garters) or tights! You can even wear your peeps still in the winter, even with tights, folks expect it. Plus, if you already don't look like everyone else around, who's gonna tell you that it's "not okay"? lol

my favorite stocking/sock/tights store? SOCK DREAMS! :
http://www.sockdreams.com/_pages/index.php
Ok, I NEED a leopard print coat... like yesterday! I always wanted one, ever since I was like 4, but always went with a more "prectical" winter coat.... however this year, I say screw it. Oh, and those muffs, super awesome, again, something I've coveted since I was 4, I actually think I had one. And the zebra pants.... cha, gotta get some! Ok, I'm excited now, bring on the fall, bring on the winter, bring on the eBay!!!!!
AMEN SISTER!!! PREACH IT!

Corinne said:
Ok, I NEED a leopard print coat... like yesterday! I always wanted one, ever since I was like 4, but always went with a more "prectical" winter coat.... however this year, I say screw it. Oh, and those muffs, super awesome, again, something I've coveted since I was 4, I actually think I had one. And the zebra pants.... cha, gotta get some! Ok, I'm excited now, bring on the fall, bring on the winter, bring on the eBay!!!!!
I love that classic glamourous look of the suits and dress with muffs and gloves. Are the shoes still open toed?

Honey B Hooligan {Madam} said:
AMEN SISTER!!! PREACH IT!

Corinne said:
Ok, I NEED a leopard print coat... like yesterday! I always wanted one, ever since I was like 4, but always went with a more "prectical" winter coat.... however this year, I say screw it. Oh, and those muffs, super awesome, again, something I've coveted since I was 4, I actually think I had one. And the zebra pants.... cha, gotta get some! Ok, I'm excited now, bring on the fall, bring on the winter, bring on the eBay!!!!!
I remember asking the same question on a different site last year around this time! The answer I got was warmer fabric items (like skirts made in wool, twill, etc). Of course closed toe heels or flats. Dresses with 3/4in or full sleeves. Lots of cardies and maybe a nice vintage coat. And don't forget a cute pair or two of wrist length gloves.
Since I live in Sweden I'm used to cooold winters, and layers is a great way to go.
Don't be scared of by the thought to wear a dress when it's cold out.
Start out with a covering undergarment that will keep you warmer and make you look gorgeous at the same time like:

+ thicker stockings
Wear real vintage styled highwaisted panties that covers the butt! These are comfy and sexy.

Over that a slip/skirt, these are pretty cheap in vintage stores.

ad a long sleeved dress, and length should be below the knees:

Shoes! This style is lovely but make sure they are warm too:

www.bianco.dk/uploads/b_productcolour/24-45007-20_350x330.gif"/>


A nice warm cardigan over the dress.
Add a nice coat, there has already been pretty examples here!
It does not have to be real fur to look good and keep you warm, just make sure it's thick!
Ad a great thick scarf, warm gloves and if possible a nice looking hat och beret! Anything on your head will help you keep warm!

Ad more layers to match the weather.

This look had saved me a lot of times in the cold!:


And the 20's style hat:

Tessa LeTaunt said:
Oh, yes! Fur for the win! I am an animal lover by far, but I go ga-ga over vintage fur! I'll have to post photos of my coats, but I have a b-e-a-utiful minx coat from the 60's. PERFECT condition, and it's dyed with a leopard print. It was originally $600 but the guy running the vintage shop I bought it from was a total doll and sold it to me for a steal of $300!
I also have one much like this one that Roxy posted, except mine is blue with a rabbit trim.


I still rock pencil skirts and dresses in the winter. Shucks, I'm in Missouri where it snows like crazy, and I still wear flats in the thick of it all. Just invest in some fur if you haven't already, and you'll be just fine. =0]

ah yes...fur coats rule! if anyone harrasses me about it, I just lie and tell them it's fake fur. then they shut up. haha!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Home Page
ROLL FOR RANDOM PHOTOS,
LOVE, COMMENT, & SHARE!


Advertise on PinupLifestyle

Follow Us!

Check out our friends:

© 2014   Created by PL Team.

Widgets  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service